1. What is the top-grossing domestic film of 2012: Hunger Games, The Dark Knight Rises or Marvel's The Avengers?
(ANSWER: Marvel's The Avengers – it made $623 million in the U.S. alone!)
2. In February, a silent-film won Best Picture at the Oscars. Name it?
(ANSWER: The Artist)
3. True or false: Osama bin Laden was killed in 2012?
(ANSWER: False – he was killed in May 2011)
4. Which former baseball star was acquitted in June on charges of lying to Congress about steroid use: Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa?
(ANSWER: Roger Clemens)
5. Quarterback Peyton Manning returned to glory in 2012 with the Denver Broncos after what team dropped him as "damaged property"?
(ANSWER: Indianapolis Colts)
6. Which celebrity mom reportedly paid $1.3 million to rent out the entire floor of the hospital when she welcomed her first baby: Jessica Simpson, Beyonce or Reese Witherspoon?
7. At this year's Summer Games, Queen Elizabeth II made headlines when she played opposite what British actor in a video skit that had the queen seemingly sky diving into the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics: Daniel Radcliffe, Daniel Craig or Daniel Day-Lewis?
(ANSWER: Daniel Craig, aka "James Bond")
8. If that weren't enough, Queen Elizabeth thrilled her subjects in 2012 with a diamond jubilee to mark her years of service. How many years has she been on the throne: 40 years, 50 years or 60 years?
(ANSWER: 60 years)
9. In June, the Supreme Court validated the constitutionality of most of President Obama's health care plan. True or false: the Supreme Court ruled that the Obamacare mandate is a tax?
(ANSWER: True, in a 5-4 decision)
10. In August, NASA successfully landed a car-size rover on Mars. What is the automated motor vehicle's name: Opportunity, Spirit or Curiosity?
11. Which professional sport began its 2012 season with replacement referees: National Football League, National Hockey League or National Basketball Association?
(ANSWER: National Football League. After too many bad calls, the NFL reached an agreement with the regular refs, allowing them to return to the field immediately)
12. True or false: according to Google, the "top trending" search of the year was "Whitney Houston"?
(ANSWER: True – followed by "Gangnam Style" and "Hurricane Sandy")